Do you know why are we using rapid antigen test against the highly transmissible omicron variant? Let’s see the advantages of rapid antigen test and when should you use it.
Why do we use rapid antigen test?
During this period, it is high time we knew our infection status as soon as possible to protect yourself and your family. Rapid antigen test can provide results in 20 minutes. Besides, it does not require electronic equipment or facilities, which allow you to get tested anywhere anytime, even the elderly can perform the simple testing steps by themselves. Rapid tests with better performance enjoy a higher accuracy rate (relatively false positive/negative rate). Apart from testing symptomatic patients, it can also successfully detect asymptomatic infected individuals. Therefore, it is recommended to get tested regularly in order not to become another invisible virus carrier and unintentionally spread the virus to others.
- Learn the 7 steps to use rapid antigen test
When should we use rapid antigen test?
Should you encounter the following situations, please do not hesitate to get tested to protect you and your family:
- Had been present at places with confirmed positive cases
- Living in buildings with confirmed positive cases
- Living in buildings / the area with positive sewage testing results
- With suspected symptoms (incl. runny nose, headache, fatigue, sneezing, sore throat)
- Had close contact with infected individuals
- Attended crowded gatherings or events
The following groups are also suggested to perform regular test:
- Families with elderly or children
- Exposed to high occupational risk (e.g. school, high-population-density work environments, high-volume retail settings)
What is the difference between rapid antigen test and PCR test?
While PCR test had been widely discussed when the pandemic just started, rapid antigen test has now become another hot topic among HK citizens. However, a lot of people misunderstood that PCR test is the only test that uses nasal swab. Therefore, we have listed out the differences between the two tests for your easy understanding:
|Rapid Antigen Test||PCR Test|
|Collect specimen||Anterior nasal swab||Deep throat saliva|
Nasal and throat combined swab
|Sample Collection||Suitable for self-sampling||Deep throat saliva is suitable for self-sampling (need to submit samples to laboratory for further analysis)|
Nasal and throat combined swab has to be collected by medical professionals
|Report Time||20 mins||A few hours to a few days|
|Detection||Virus Antigen||RNA Virus|
|Applicable for Compulsory Testing||No||Yes (government’s recognized lab report required)|
INDICAID Rapid Antigen Test Kit
- HK Government designated brand
- Widely adopted in hospitals and organizations
- Hong Kong No.1 best selling rapid testing brand *
- Able to detect virus variants (incld. Omicron)
- Authorized by FDA EUA (applicable for asymptomatic individuals)
*Data from Watsons’s sales statistics (Jan-Dec 2021)BUY NOW
INDICAID lab PCR Test
1Test report ready by 6pm on the same day for samples submitted before noon, all express reports will be issued at 6pm on the same day
2Toddlers under 3 years old are also suitable for nasal & throat swabs sample collection, eligibility for the test is subject to on-site medical professional judgement